Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I get an assessment done on my property?
To get information on assessments, visit the Property Value Services Corporation (PVSC)
- What are the tax rates?
Tax Rates for 2019/20 are as follows:
Residential – $2.06/100 of assessment
Commercial – $3.88/100 of assessment (for information about our Development Support Program, click here Development Support Program
- Can I pay my taxes online?
Yes - Go to Make a Payment.
- Does the Town Hall accept VISA and MC?
Yes - Go to Make a Payment. We also accept cheques, cash, money orders or debit.
- Where can SRHS program registration forms be picked up?
They can be found at SRHS Community Use Programs or at the Town Office.
- How can I pay my parking ticket?
Parking tickets are paid at the Town Office or payment can be mailed with the ticket number included.
- When can I expect to receive my tax bills?
Tax bills are sent twice a year, once in April and final billing for the remaining amount is billed in August/September. Sewer will also be billed on the final tax bill. A reminder that CIBC and Scotiabank do not cover Sewer charges on mortgages.
- I have questions about recycling and waste management. Who should I contact?
For questions on Waste Management, you should contact the Waste Diversion Coordinator by calling the Municipality of the District of Shelburne at (902) 875-3554 ext. 240
- How do I place a Work Order?
Contact the Town Office at 902-875-2991, ext. 1, or complete the online form. Note: a plumber must be called to confirm the obstruction is not on private property for Town to respond to a sewer block
- How do I make a By-Law Complaint?
- I have a question about a Town By-Law or Policy; who do I contact?
Contact the Town Office, Robin Smith, Executive Coordinator, 902-875-2991, ext. 8 for questions and information regarding Town By-Laws.
- What is my property zoning?
Contact Sherry Doane, CAO, at 902-875-2991 ext. 5. for zoning questions and information.
- Who do I contact if I want to build a building on my property?
- How can I add an event to the event board?
Contact Robin Smith, Executive Coordinator at 902-875-2991, ext. 8
- How do I book the Guild Hall?
Contact Jill Webb, Customer Service Representative at 902-875-2991, ext. 1.
- How do I book the Community Centre?
Contact Jill Webb, Customer Service Representative at 902-875-2991, ext.1.
- When does Town Council meet?
Shelburne Town Council regular meetings are held every first and third Monday of the month. Please reference Agendas and Minutes.
- Can I attend a Town Council meeting?
The public is encouraged to attend Shelburne Town Council meetings; in-camera sessions, which are closed to the public, are occasionally held in accordance with Municipal regulations, usually for the first 30 minutes of a regular meeting.
- How many Council members are there for the Town of Shelburne?
Shelburne Town Council is comprised to a Mayor and four Councillors, with the position of Deputy Mayor rotating annually so that all Council members serve a one year term as Deputy Mayor.
- Can I have my concern placed on a Town Council meeting Agenda?
- What are the business hours for the Town Office?
Town Office is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- How can I join a Town Committee?
Members of the public are encouraged to apply for positions on any Town Committee they are interested in joining; the Town Committees are Community Participation & Volunteerism Committee, Community & Economic Development Committee, Shelburne County East RCMP Advisory Board Committee and Port Authority Committee. Learn about the committees or Community Participation & Volunteerism. Contact Robin Smith, Executive Coordinator, 902-875-2991, ext. 8.
- Who do I contact about recreation and bicycle programs in the area?
- Are the trails in the Town of Shelburne designated as multi-use?
No, the trail through the Town of Shelburne is not designated for ATVs or other recreational vehicles; it is for pedestrian traffic only. Horses are prohibited on the trail but dogs may be walked on a leash