COVID - 19 Update March 17th, 2020
Created: Tuesday, 17 March 2020 14:40
We are continuing to monitor and respond to the rapidly evolving effects of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and wellness of residents and employees is our main priority. Steps are being taken to mitigate impacts on municipal services while also helping to reduce the spread of the disease.
Here is an update on the municipal measures being implemented as of 4:30 p.m. today, March 17, 2020:
- All municipal offices and facilities will be closed until April 6th, 2020. This closure will be reassessed as necessary.
- All non-essential services, such as by-law enforcement, shall be reduced, in favor of more critical municipal services.
- All recreation related activities are suspended until further notice.
- All municipal related travel is suspended until further notice. - The Council Budget Meeting of March 23rd will be rescheduled
.- All Town Committee meetings will be rescheduled. The Town will continue to operate and provide the essential services to its residents. As it stands, here is what is continuing:
- The main phone line of 902-875-2991 will be monitored daily for voicemails.
- Updates will be made via social media and the Town’s webpage.
- The Operations Department will continue to maintain water and wastewater equipment and perform testing, clean garbage cans and remove snow. Operations staff will be responding to emergency work orders only. Emergency work orders will consist of water breaks, blocked sewers, sewer breaks, and critical facility repairs. To report an emergency work order, please contact the Public Works Supervisor at 902-319-0456.
- There will be no change in garbage collection.
- All bill payments will not be processed until after April 6th. There will be no interest charged over this period.
- Urgent building inspections will be prioritized and completed during the closure.
- An online form for development permits will be made available by the end of the week. Payment for development permits will be processed when normal operations have returned.
- Fire Services and EMO will continue as normal.
Residents are encouraged to visit novascotia.ca/coronavirus to stay up-to-date on the provincial response.
Thank you for helping with the community effort to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.